- 1 month
- 2 months
- 3 months
- 4 months
This is a wonderful opportunity to join a dedicated team who have been working on the island of Malta for many years caring for the environmental development, and promoting conservation issues & education within the local population. Their commitment is to the conservation of Maltese nature through the promotion of environmental awareness, managing areas of natural and scientific interest, and lobbying for effective environmental legislation.
Over the years the team has been successful in gaining legal protection for various plants and animals in the Maltese Islands, helping to save from extinction some of the local endemic species. Their particular area of focus is the rescue of injured marine turtles and stranded dolphins. There is a dedicated 24 hour duty rescue team on call who are all professionally trained.There is a strong emphasis also on education within the project - reaching out to the local schools and communities. Groups of children regularly visit the centre and get actively involved in the learning process, the lessons are hands on and encourage the children to care for the environment around them.
This great project is today one of the oldest and largest environmental organisations in Malta dealing with natural environment of the Maltese Islands. Over the years it has worked and lobbied hard to get legal protection for various plants and animals in the Maltese Islands, helping to save from extinction some of the local endemic species. Today this project is very active in environmental education through various means, as it strongly believes that education is the best tool to create awareness on nature conservation. The organisation is also carrying out many environmental projects in Malta such as afforestation, habitat conservation and the creation of marine protected areas.
Through a programme of education and awareness raising, the organisation impacts the local as well as global community. The education programme organises nature visits for schools in its Nature Reserves and other sites in the countryside as well as talks about marine life. They provide activities for adults, youths and kids; guided walks, talks, outdoor activities, seminars and more. The team also promotes eco-tourism to increase the appreciation of nature and local heritage as an invaluable resource in need of protection.
What is Included?
- 24 / 7 Support
- Information Pack
- Accommodation: You will share an apartment in the heart of Malta with other volunteers. You will have the choice of cooking for yourself or joining with other volunteers.
- Food: You will recieve a monthly allowance for your own food, you can then as a team decide if you wish to pool your money and cook together or if you prefer to cook your own meals...a lot depends on how many chefs you have in the apartment!
- Training: All volunteers setting out on an adventure with us receive pre-departure training to help you prepare for the experience ahead. This training covers all the areas you need to think about before you pack your bags. It gives you time to focus and prioritise, and provides you with the knowledge and information you need in order to have a safe, fulfilling and enjoyable adventure. On arrival at your project you will also receive orientation training which will help you to better understand the local culture and support you as you find your way around this new country. On your return we will also support you as you readapt to life back home. We encourage you to keep in contact with us and consider opportunities for you to stay connected to the work you have been part of with Agapé. In addition to all of this training you will also receive a comprehensive welcome pack full of useful information on your project, the country and the culture, as well as detailed safety and communication lists.
- Support: Agapé Adventures respects that each person is unique, and thus has different needs, and we endeavour to meet those genuine needs as effectively as we can. All volunteers are supported by Agapé every step of the way. You will be allocated a line manager to assist you in the day to day aspects of your adventure and staff at Agapé’s main base who will be available 24/7 for any out of hours emergencies. All staff involved in supporting you, work together to provide coordinated, personal and professional support throughout your adventure.
- Airport Collection & Drop Off: When you land into the airport we will make sure that someone is there to meet you and bring you to your project base. We will also provide assistance in returning you to the airport at the end of your time to help you take back all those gifts you've picked up along the way!
What Isn't Included
- Adventure Package
What will I do?:
Depending on the time of year you are looking to join the team, and how long you are able to stay, your responsibilities will vary.
The main focus of the volunteer team however remains the education programme and the marine rescue and rehabilitation. You will assist the staff members in the daily running of the centre and its' work, supporting the specific focus at that time - be it the forestry, the apiculture studies or the marine turtles.
The main areas of work for the volunteer team includes:
Working in the Tree Nursery
Participating in Cleanups
Participating in Turtle Rescue and Rehabilitation
Data collection and analysis
If you have specific areas of interest / education or experience, let us know so that we can look to get you involved more specifically in that area during your time in project.
The Local Area
In Malta you'll explore 7000 years of history yet live passionately in the present. You'll span the millennia with an astonishing array of things to discover. And wherever you go, the Islands' scenery and architecture provide a spectacular backdrop. The colours are striking, honey-coloured stone against the deepest of Mediterranean blues.
The Maltese Islands have been described as one big open-air museum. What makes them unique is that so much of their past is visible today. Delve into the Islands' mysterious prehistory, retrace the footsteps of St. Paul or see where the Knights of St. John defended Christendom.