- 1 year
- Jan 2014
- Aug 2014
We have some fabulous adrenaline pumping opportunities here in the UK for you! Opportunities to join a team of like-minded people sharing their knowledge, enthusiasm and contagious sense of humour for a year of sports, adventure and learning.
Based around the UK in a variety of project bases you can choose to join these teams and not only use your passion for activity to help others, but also gain a recognised Bristish Standard qualification in your chosen field of instruction. These are very well respected qualifications that can be a huge help in your future careers. This time in project will also help to grow your confidence, people skills and leadership skills
The activities include:
- Wheelchair abseil tower
- High & low ropes courses
- Climbing & abseiling
- Bird of prey workshop
- The ‘BIG’ bounce
- Tropical Inc. wildlife experience
- Indoor Archery Ranges
- Challenge courses
- Bridge building
- Raft building ponds
- Initiative exercises & games
- Search & rescue
- Circus skills
- Night walk
- On-site orienteering
- Ice breakers
- Wide games
- Camp fires
- Heated outdoor swimming pool
- Disco & karaoke
- Zip wire
- Team games
If you prefer your sports to be a little dryer you could join the sports arena project where you can coach tennis in the purpose built tennis arena and provide a variety of levels of intruction in:
- Table tennis
- Squash Courts
- Roller Skating
- Initiative games
The projects are all Christian in their focus and many of the groups you will work with are from UK based churches, youth groups & schools. The opportunities are open to people from all denominations and Christian church backgrounds. The faith aspect is not "in your face" during the year, but it is an important part of the team's focus and the ethos of the projects themselves.
Please note that due to the nature of this role we require you to have fluent spoken English, preferably mother tongue. Applicants must also be aged 18-24
What is Included?
- 24 / 7 Support
- Information Pack
- Accommodation: You will have either a single room, or in some cases you might share a bedroom with one other person. There is shared living spaces, bathrooms and kichens (except at the sports arena project where there is a simple kitchenette, with all meals provided at the dining hall on site at the on site Conference Centre). Both of the outdoor centres are on bus links and not far from local villages. Local churches are available at all of our centres.
- Food: As mentioned above, all meals are provided throughout your stay giving you nutritious and very yummy food to keep your energy up!
- Stipend: A monthly stipend is included in this project, this is to enable you to cover the cost of your basic personal expenses on top of food and work related costs. You will not pay any bills other than your personal phone bill, and all other costs are covered. Volunteering is about simple living, and so your stipend is calculated according to the local economy to ensure that you are not living above the standards of the local community around you.
- Training: All volunteers setting out on an adventure with us receive pre-departure training to help you prepare for the experience ahead. This training covers all the areas you need to think about before you pack your bags. It gives you time to focus and prioritise, and provides you with the knowledge and information you need in order to have a safe, fulfilling and enjoyable adventure. On arrival at your project you will also receive orientation training which will help you to better understand the local culture and support you as you find your way around this new country. On your return we will also support you as you readapt to life back home. We encourage you to keep in contact with us and consider opportunities for you to stay connected to the work you have been part of with Agapé. In addition to all of this training you will also receive a comprehensive welcome pack full of useful information on your project, the country and the culture, as well as detailed safety and communication lists.
- Support: Agapé Adventures respects that each person is unique, and thus has different needs, and we endeavour to meet those genuine needs as effectively as we can. All volunteers are supported by Agapé every step of the way. You will be allocated a line manager to assist you in the day to day aspects of your adventure and staff at Agapé’s main base who will be available 24/7 for any out of hours emergencies. All staff involved in supporting you, work together to provide coordinated, personal and professional support throughout your adventure.
- Adventure Package: During your time in project we will coordinate an exiting adventure package for you. Where possible we try to tailor this to your interests, otherwise this will be a group event with other volunteers. A time to do something completely different and enjoy the country in which you're living in a whole new way!
- Airport Collection & Drop Off: When you land into the airport we will make sure that someone is there to meet you and bring you to your project base. We will also provide assistance in returning you to the airport at the end of your time to help you take back all those gifts you've picked up along the way!
What Isn't Included
- Adventure Package
What will I do?:
A lot will depend on the specific project site that you are best suited to, so if your passion is the outdoors and / or water sports then you will have a wonderful year helping provide instructions to groups of children and adults in a wide variety of outdoor activities, helping to encourage team work and communication within the groups you are working with. You will help to ensure the highest levels of safety are used and bring smiles, laughter and a huge sense of acheivement to many lives young and old!
If you prefer to be based in the sports arena you will be working with teams as well as providing one to one coaching in a number of sports activities such as basketball, tennis, squash, soccer, trampoline and even roller skating! Dyring your year at this centre you will also gain Food Hygiene qualifications, learn leisure management skills and help develop the range of activities available at this busy centre.
You will receive full instruction and training yourself before you are put infront of any teams, and during the year you will have opportunities to gain your own personal qualifications.
In the Outdoor Activity centres you will become part of the instructor team, delivering 90 minute sessions in a range of activities. Typically you will work 5 days per week, either on a 10am-6pm shift (with breaks) or an evening shift (until 10pm latest). You will plan and deliver sessions. During quieter seasons you will take part in ‘site work’ – clearing, building, fixing etc the site. On very rare occasions you may be asked to perform ‘house duties’ – helping prepare food and clean bedrooms. This is very occasional. You will also have regular training days and sessions as well as monthly assessments to ensure you are maintaining standards
In the Sports Arena Centre you will become part of the wider team, the majority of your time will be spent delivering indoor sports sessions – whether using the indoor climbing wall, hosting birthday parties, leading roller skating classes, fitness classes – it is a wide and varied job. In addition to this, you will help with general duties such as welcoming people at reception, serving food at the cafe etc.
The Local Area
All of the centres are based in the beautiful countryside of the Unite Kingdom, rolling hills and panoramic views surround you in every base. You are never too far from the local towns and good transport links, so those of you who need a regular fix of the city buzz can also get out and about to explore the city life close by.
These are all places of natural beauty and amazing nature, so there will be plenty of opportunities for you to enjoy your time off in the area no matter what the weather!