- 3 Months
- 4 Months
- 5 Months
- 6 Months
- 7 Months
- 12 Months
Based in the beautiful countryside of Spain this amazing sanctuary is committed to Animal Advocacy and Protection. The Foundation manages two rescue centres and sanctuaries for replica watches primates and other exotic mammals. They house animals from all over Europe who have been confiscated, abandoned or offered by private owners. Often these animals are rescused as a result of illegal trade, being exhibited in illegal zoos, used in biomedical research or the entertainment industry, with many of the animals having a history of abuse and neglect.
This is a wonderful opportunity to observe and learn from first hand experience about several species: Chimpanzees, Pig-tailed macaques, Barbary macaques, Baboons, Vervet monkeys and other species of primates. Also gaining a fantastic insight to the care and rehabilitation of Lions, Tigers and Leopards as well as a small number of wolves.
Here - and with the help of our volunteers - they receive the professional care needed for their physical and mental recovery. After a careful process of rehabilitation, long-term solutions are sought through outplacement.
The main objectives are the advocacy and protection of non domesticated exotic mammals, through the rescue, rehabilitation and outplacement of the animals, once recovered. The team also works on creating public policies and educating the general public. Volunteering here requires empathy with a non-commercial organisation in general, and enhancing the wellbeing of the animals.
The centre is situated on 180 hectares of land, bought by the sanctuary initially with the purpose of permanently housing groups of primates that cannot, for whatever reason, be outplaced elsewhere. Volunteering here means you get to live in a truly stunning natural environment with stunning and awe-inspiring mammals.
What is Included?
- 24 / 7 Support
- Information Pack
- Accommodation: You will be housed in one of two shared flats, each of which have several bedrooms (shared with no more than 2 other volunteers) along with communal living areas such as living room, kitchen and bathroom. Wireless Internet is available in the houses (own laptop required). You will be transported to and from work.
- Food: You will be provided with a food allowance with which you can purchase your food in the local town and you will be able to cook for yourself within the apartment
- Spanish Lessons: Patek Philippe Replica Watches To help you settle into the local community Spanish lessons will be provided to all volunteers. Within the centre itself generally communication is in English but it is good to help learn / improve your language skills whilst you are there too :)
- Training: All volunteers setting out on an adventure with us receive pre-departure training to help you prepare for the experience ahead. This training covers all the areas you need to think about before you pack your bags. It gives you time to focus and prioritise, and provides you with the knowledge and information you need in order to have a safe, fulfilling and enjoyable adventure. On arrival at your project you will also receive orientation training which will help you to better understand the local culture and support you as you find your way around this new country. On your return we will also support you as you readapt to life back home. We encourage you to keep in contact with us and consider opportunities for you to stay connected to the work you have been part of with Agapé. In addition to all of this training you will also receive a comprehensive welcome pack full of useful information on your project, the country and the culture, as well as detailed safety and communication lists.
- Support: Agapé Adventures respects that each person is unique, and thus has different needs, and we endeavour to meet those genuine needs as effectively as we can. All volunteers are supported by Agapé every step of the way. You will be allocated a line manager to assist you in the day to day aspects of your adventure and staff at Agapé’s main base who will be available 24/7 for any out of hour’s emergencies. All staff involved in supporting you, work together to provide coordinated, personal and professional support throughout your adventure.
What Isn't Included
- Adventure Package
What will I do?:
The centre houses different groups of primates of several species: Chimpanzees, Pig-tailed macaques, Barbary macaques, Baboons, Vervet monkeys and other species of primates have also lived here. Periodically a group of rescued animals find a new place to live, so the species of primates are not always the same.
Normally you will work with Barbary macaques, Chimpanzees, and Pig Tailed macaques among other species of primates, all of them rescued from different situations such as illegal trade, ownership as pets, circuses, etc. In addition you will also work with the increasing number of big cats - Lions, Tigers and Leopards as well as a small number of wolves.
Role of the volunteer:
You would be part of a formed team and would help with the care of the animals at all times adhering to the foundations hands off policy, being fully involved in the day-to-day routine. You will be expected to help with the cleaning of their facilities. The preparation and distribution of food, and the constructing and making of environmental enrichment. In addition to this you may be required to assist with some minor technical maintenance, along with any other necessary tasks, administrative or otherwise. The duration of the volunteering is from a minimum of 3 months.
We are looking for volunteers who have an affinity with the aims and objectives of the centre. As an international sanctuary it is important that volunteers should have a good level of spoken and written English. Volunteers should also be able to work independently and as a team member. You should be able to work methodically and hygienically. As the level of work can be physically demanding a good level of physical fitness is required.
You must be in agreement with the foundation’s hands-off policy. Willing to work on weekends (The working week being five days with two days off) and have a driving license. Previous experience of working with animals, in particular with some knowledge of primates/exotic animals is desirable but is not obligatory.
The Local Area
The sanctuary is based in the beautiful countryside of Alicante which as a region has a wealth of attractions. The coast is well known as a tourist destination for sun filled holidays but not many tourist get the opportunity to visit and experience the beauty of the surrounding countryside. You will be amongst the happy few to broaden the horizons of this wonderful Spanish destination.